Yom HaShoa
I was so moved by the way this country memorializes the Holocaust. First the mood is set a few days in advance with quieter songs on the radio, and talking about it. In the evening, we watched the ceremony at Yad Vashem attended by all important government officials. Six holocaust survivors lit a candle and each had a video first about their life. It was touching, sad, and inspiring. The next day, at 10 am, a siren went off and a few million people in this very loud, busy country stopped and stood for two minutes. We were in a coffee shop. My kids were each at school. This day led my family to have talks that I never felt ready to have about the Holocaust but yet that were tough to avoid much longer. My son saw me cry for probably one of the first time's ever as I discussed the story of Janusz Korczak after he explained to me he wanted to see a statue he saw in school. (Below is the photo of what was in the entryway of the school this week).
If you don't know the story, go read about it. Worth it.
This coming week is another sad holiday--Yom HaZikaron, which is even more personal for Israelis as nearly everyone knows someone who was lost in battle or a terrorist attack in Israel. Moreover, the constant threat of casualty is always there, so it's not history. This holiday will again be marked with two sirens--at the beginning and in the morning. The holiday ends with Yom Haatzmaut, Israel's independence day where we will be in Tel Aviv, celebrating in the streets. Adam's parents come in late that night too.
I was most proud this week of Matan, who together with me, delivered a lecture to his first grade class about America. You have to understand that not only did he speak in front of 25 or so children, but he did so IN HEBREW. Matan asked the kids to guess the American flag, which one was the American dollar bill etc. He showed pictures of his house, family, and dog, and I think all the kids think we are now VERY VERY rich because our house in Monroe looks like a mansion compared to an Israeli apartment. Of course, my apartment in Rehovot is worth more that that house but "location location" doesn't mean much to first graders. We talked about the Statue of Liberty and he gave out American pennies to everyone. The teacher then asked the kids to give him a compliment or to share something they learned. The kids were adorable. "Matan, that was the most interesting lesson I have ever had" "Matan, you were very brave speaking to us". Matan felt good about himself, and I almost died of pride.
Sivan also had a great day on Friday, running a business with a friend. They bought things at the dollar store and developed a little business in the park. I don't think I have ever seen my daughter do so much math as she has about this--between calculating profits, how to split the money, how much to sell each item for. I have stayed out of it entirely and it's been great watching her and her friend go to work. Even if they still haven't made a profit...



Comments