Springtime in Israel: An overdue post with a MILLION pics....
It's been so long since I have written and I have so many thoughts and things to say! But this post will mostly focus on pictures and catching up a little on what we've been up to.
Living the Jewish calendar in Israel is an amazing cultural experience. Last month was Adar, the month of Purim. This is the ultimate fun holiday of dressing up, which in Israeli schools begins a week before the holiday where they dress in all sorts of costumes.
The kids had a wonderful time. Matan is becoming a hardcore zionist. He has insisted on going to Israeli school next year. "none of that jewish nonsense". an Israeli school with Israeli holidays. The way they do it in Israel. Guess we'll need to talk about how Israeli and Jewish are somewhat synonymous soon. The kids are getting a kick about now starting to speak phrases in Hebrew in front of Adam that he can't understand. Up until now, adults are always more skilled, so it's really fun for them to surpass a parent. Although I'm not sure Adam joins in the revelry.
Okay and now pictures with comments which unfortunately are going to go opposite chronology....
I decided to meet my research assistant in Tel aviv the other day because I know little about the city. Have barely been. It was good to walk around a bit. I came across Rabin Memorial which I wanted to see. It was a very powerful, sad moment in Israeli history when he was assassinated (note the translation says "murdered" which just has a different feeling).
We actually are going to be in Tel Aviv for Yom Haatzmaut, Israel's 70th bday so I'll see more of it then.
One day I'm going to photograph and make a book of Israeli traffic circles. My kids keep yelling at me to take photos but it's impossible WHILE driving. but they really are stunning.
We went to Ramla Old City Shuk.
Beautiful flowers at entrance to our city.
My kid looks so damn cute on a big horse, I just can't take enough photos of this.
Matan's school every couple months has some celebratory singing/dance party. I love it.
Adam and I took a date night to Jerusalem where we met Rabbi Pesach and Chana for dinner.
Sivan looks so adorable in her tsofim outfit.
Okay and now backtrack to Purim....this was one of the best costumes. Looked like the coke was cutting up her head. It was disgusting.
We did Purim a lot of ways--celebration at school, megilla reading, celebration in day in Rehovot, celebration the day after in Jerusalem.
We went for the superhero theme (most of the time...our costumes changed a lot).
The best month to visit Israel is definitely march. The weather is amazing, the flowers are out, the hiking is fantastic. This last-minute hike was stunning.
Purim in school with parade around the neighborhood!
And these are just adorable photos of Sivan.
And now it's time to turn our attention to the next holiday. PESACH (Passover).
This is the only holiday I have never spent in Israel. Every year, Jews read "next year in Jerusalem". It's very exciting to actually be here, albeit we'll be in Tiberias, not Jerusalem. :)
But the thing I just can't get over is the kosher food. I had HEARD it was good, but Matan and I walk into the ice cream factory store near where we live, and nearly EVERY ICE CREAM CONCOCTION WAS KOSHER. then we went to the supermarket, and all this stuff was kosher. They are more lenient here about kitniot (corn, legumes, etc. that ashkenazi jews in america won't eat) so it's amazing. i'm not going to suffer much this holiday.
The kids are now off for their biggest break yet--2.5 weeks.
We have lots of things planned!!! I can't wait!


Living the Jewish calendar in Israel is an amazing cultural experience. Last month was Adar, the month of Purim. This is the ultimate fun holiday of dressing up, which in Israeli schools begins a week before the holiday where they dress in all sorts of costumes.
The kids had a wonderful time. Matan is becoming a hardcore zionist. He has insisted on going to Israeli school next year. "none of that jewish nonsense". an Israeli school with Israeli holidays. The way they do it in Israel. Guess we'll need to talk about how Israeli and Jewish are somewhat synonymous soon. The kids are getting a kick about now starting to speak phrases in Hebrew in front of Adam that he can't understand. Up until now, adults are always more skilled, so it's really fun for them to surpass a parent. Although I'm not sure Adam joins in the revelry.
Okay and now pictures with comments which unfortunately are going to go opposite chronology....
I decided to meet my research assistant in Tel aviv the other day because I know little about the city. Have barely been. It was good to walk around a bit. I came across Rabin Memorial which I wanted to see. It was a very powerful, sad moment in Israeli history when he was assassinated (note the translation says "murdered" which just has a different feeling).
We actually are going to be in Tel Aviv for Yom Haatzmaut, Israel's 70th bday so I'll see more of it then.
Sivan has been at a democratic school in Ness Ziona which currently uses Nezer Sireni (kibbutz campus). On Thursday they have a day in the groves. I found this scenery stunning.
One day I'm going to photograph and make a book of Israeli traffic circles. My kids keep yelling at me to take photos but it's impossible WHILE driving. but they really are stunning.
We went to Ramla Old City Shuk.
oh look! anothr traffic circle!
Matan and I found this grassy hill in between Rehovot and Nes Ziona where you can see Rehovot.
Beautiful flowers at entrance to our city.
My kid looks so damn cute on a big horse, I just can't take enough photos of this.
Matan's school every couple months has some celebratory singing/dance party. I love it.
Sivan looks so adorable in her tsofim outfit.
I got to chaperone a field trip to a play. The kids do more field trips here. This one was about Eliezer Ben Yehuda's son (the first hebrew speaking boy).
Okay and now backtrack to Purim....this was one of the best costumes. Looked like the coke was cutting up her head. It was disgusting.
We did Purim a lot of ways--celebration at school, megilla reading, celebration in day in Rehovot, celebration the day after in Jerusalem.
delivering mishloach manot to Noam.
We went for the superhero theme (most of the time...our costumes changed a lot).
Matans' school had a weeklong activity of the King of Shapes coming (they had to solve puzzles all week about geometry)

The best month to visit Israel is definitely march. The weather is amazing, the flowers are out, the hiking is fantastic. This last-minute hike was stunning.
Purim in school with parade around the neighborhood!
We even did Purim in Ulpan!
And these are just adorable photos of Sivan.
Shabbat flowers!
And now it's time to turn our attention to the next holiday. PESACH (Passover).
This is the only holiday I have never spent in Israel. Every year, Jews read "next year in Jerusalem". It's very exciting to actually be here, albeit we'll be in Tiberias, not Jerusalem. :)
But the thing I just can't get over is the kosher food. I had HEARD it was good, but Matan and I walk into the ice cream factory store near where we live, and nearly EVERY ICE CREAM CONCOCTION WAS KOSHER. then we went to the supermarket, and all this stuff was kosher. They are more lenient here about kitniot (corn, legumes, etc. that ashkenazi jews in america won't eat) so it's amazing. i'm not going to suffer much this holiday.
The kids are now off for their biggest break yet--2.5 weeks.
We have lots of things planned!!! I can't wait!





















































Comments