Roses in June

Yasmine and Sivan in rose garden on Yasmine's birthday.






No, this is not in the rose garden. This is actually a month ago. But I had to get this in here. This is Sivan's "I MUST put this in my mouth" expression.



Today, Yasmine turned...28. My grandmother called to wish me a happy birthday. She asked how old I was. I said 28. She said no. I said yes. She said no. I said...yes. It's 2008. Where does time go? Back in the 80s, there was a big difference between 1988 and 1984...now I can barely sort 2008 from 2004. I guess this is aging! But as I decline from my youth, Sivan (who is far more interesting subject for the devoted readers of this blog anyway) is now 6 months old (tomorrow!). Her day usually goes something like this: wake up, get coaxed back to sleep, wake up ("fine, okay"), change diaper, eat, go back to sleep, wake up ("ugh, fine, okay, you win"), play. eat some mushy something. play. fight naptime. naptime. wake up. play. eat. play. fight naptime. nap. eat. play....skip to 6 pm....fuss. bathe. eat. sleep. (oh yeah, there were diaper changes i skipped). Playing consists of touching EVERYTHING and putting everything into mouth. Anything new must be tasted. Yasmine tries to understand the lure of this, and occasionally munches on some colorful plastic, but usually after a bite concludes that despite Sivan's intense passion for plastic, chocolate is better.

Sivan is a unique baby. For example, she thrives on only napping about 20 minutes at a time. Her parents of course, are thrilled that Sivan does not seem to need much sleep, because this means Sivan will be a great mother one day to the many grandchildren she will bring us.

Sivan is growing a tooth! I (being yasmine in case you haven't figured it out yet) kind of got a little upset. she's growing up too fast!!! at certain times, i kind of want my kid to grow up. on the other hand, you realize there is no final product. and maybe i'm not done with her being 5 months yet, and then suddenly she wakes up one morning and starts saying "ba ba ba" (that was yesterday morning) and you feel this tooth and you remember that you have to enjoy every second because no second is ever the same. this is what i'm learning. amongst other things. one day i'll write a book. for now, i think i'll go sleep. anyway, happy half birthday sivan reyna!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the blog entry, Yasmine. Very beautiful and reflective! I think you are enjoying every minute of this unique experience and even though she won't remember it, I think Sivan is having a grand old time as well. :-) The flowers are so pretty, just like your little flower.

Happy birthday (and half-birthday) Kalkstein women!

~Heather
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday!! Love,
Lina
snlfreak82 said…
i definitely agree...chocolate is far better than plastic toys!! I think I've said this a million times but love the new pics...oh and happy sorta early bday adam!

Popular posts from this blog

2020 Summer (Make that Thanksgiving Card)

Happy 5782

Teaching thoughts: Positive Feedback