Happy Birthday Aba
100 Things We Love About Aba, compiled by Orrin:
1.I love Aba's thirst for knowledge, Yasmine
2.I admire Aba's consistency in life, Yasmine
3. Aba is one of the hardest workers I know, Yasmine
4. I love that Aba always wanted the best for us. Yasmine
5. I love that Aba always took the time to look for ways to enrich our lives. Yasmine
6. Aba is humble. Yasmine
7. Aba judges people kindly and always tries to do the right thing. Yasmine
8. Aba is a good role model. Yasmine
9. Aba loves to laugh. Yasmine
10. Aba takes care of his body by eating well and exercising. I admire that. Yasmine
11. Aba can seem to get me around any city in the world. Yasmine
12. I love that Aba believed in me. Yasmine
13. I loved how aba would meow when we played cat and mouse when skiing. Yasmine
14. Aba is good at seeing the world from a kid's perspective. Yasmine
15. I like how Aba loves challenging problems. Yasmine
16. Aba is good at picking out mistakes and figuring out how to right it (for example, when watching movies, he sure does nitpick...(urinals were too tall in Kindergarten Cop!, American Airline Counter for a United Airlines Flight in Home Alone 2, etc.)). Yasmine
17. Aba gives excellent speeches and toasts. Yasmine
18. Aba made me a skier (that couldn't have been easy to get a 3 year old ready for skiing!) Yasmine
19. I loved when Aba used to have Orrin and I race down the sidewalk. Yasmine
20. I loved when Aba took us out of the sermon at synagogue and played upstairs in the classrooms with us. Yasmine
21. I love Abba for insisting that I learn the value of exercise even when I didn’t want to. He made me a track star and I’m proud of him for running a marathon. Orrin
22. I love how Abba is always thinking of Yasmine and myself and always looking out for us. Orrin
23. I love how when we used to spill or break something Ima would get mad and Abba would say as long as we’d say “Yakapora” then everything would be ok. Once, either Yasmine or myself spilt some water (or maybe it was wine) on a tablecloth and Ima got mad at me, and Abba said “it’s no big deal, and proceeded to spill some water to make me feel better. Orrin
24. Sometimes I don’t know if I love this about him, but ultimately, I think I will look back and love how Abba forces me to have conversations with him because he won’t let me have the TV on during dinner. Orrin
25. I love how Abba is secretly as much a lover of TV as myself. Every time he passes by the TV, he has to watch a few minutes of it, but he’ll never admit it. Orrin
26. I love how Abba is an avid learner and how he always wants to learn about what I’ve been learning. We can have great conversations about classical music, geography and film. Orrin
27. I love how Abba is a very devoted son to his mother. OrrinI love to brag about how good in jeopardy my dad is. Orrin
28. I love how Abba has introduced us to skiing and I have so many memories from our ski trips together. Orrin
29. I love how Abba is always willing to play catch, take me to a museum or see a movie with me Orrin
30. I love how Abba is so good at mental math (but I don’t love how he used to make us do a math problem when we asked how much longer until we get there). Orrin
31. I love how Abba did his best to make car trips more bearable by playing car games, putting in books on tape, introducing the “sight” rule to break conversations, and breaking the trip down into segments. Orrin
32. My childhood friend Kevin Pelham used to brag throughout all of elementary school about how his friend’s dad always had the best birthday parties and I definitely agree: Abba has always planned out major events in our childhood with a touch of creativity. Orrin
33. I love how Abba is as enthusiastic as I am of travelling to new places. The best example of this might be our trip ten years ago to Louisville, Cincinatti and Indianapolis, simply because it established us as the ultimate tourists. Judging by how many strange looks from the locals we got when we told them that we were voluntarily vacationing in Indianapolis for reasons unrelated to business or relatives, we must have been the first tourists in Indianapolis’ history. We had a fun time and as a show of the Abba’s creativity in planning trips, we went on a nice train ride there rather than taking a car or plane. I think Abba’s favorite vacation would be the time we went camping in New Hampshire, because that’s always what fathers like to do with their sons. I was afraid of Mount Monadnock but with his help, it turned out not to be that bad and we saw Lake Placid and the Old Man on the Mountain before he fell off. Orrin
34. The ultimate hiking challenge, however, was the Grand Canyon and that was one unforgettable trip that I also love him for. We started off in Las Vegas which Abba was kindly willing to show me, but he would always go around saying, “There are two holes in Nevada: Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam.” We got to see the observatory where Pluto was discovered and hike in Sedona. He also kept talking about how difficult the Grand Canyon would be and how worried he was that I wouldn’t make it, and as usual, I completely foiled his plans. I kept wanting to stop and take in the scenery but he desperately wanted to keep going before the sun reached its zenith, then on the way back, I had felt so much energy, especially since I was trying to train for cross-country that I just jogged back up and Abba was the one having to keep up with me. We also had an event on the way back at the airport that scared me to death when there was a breach of security at O’Hare, but Abba was much calmer than myself and optimistically looked forward to us being part of the day’s news: Between the two of us, one of us can bring an optimistic way of seeing things to the other. Orrin
35. I love how Abba used to tell us bedtime stories with all the different voices. Orrin
36. I love his sense of humor and the way he likes to make people laugh at his jokes. Michal “Savtah” Kamely, Mother-in-Law
37. I love how Arnie is devoted to Judaism and likes to celebrate the Jewish holidays. Michael Kamely, Mother-in-Law
38. I love how my son-in-law is devoted to his children. Michal “Savtah” Kamely
39. I respect Arnie’s dedication to his work and his environments. Michal “Savtah” Kamely
40. Abba is a wonderful father. Daphne, Arnie’s wife
41. I love how Abba is always learning and I love learning from him. Daphne
42. Abba has a wonderful sense of humor and is always fun to be around. Daphne
43. Abba is not only the best husband but also the best friend. Daphne
44. Aba knows tons of stuff. Adam Kalkstein, Arnie’s son-in-law
45. Aba works hard. Adam
46. He doesn't like stereotypes/prejudices (Jewfish creek). Adam
47. Aba doesn't like Hillary Clinton. Adam
48. Aba made me a nice wife. Adam
49. Aba takes good care of Kiska and only takes her to the best kennels when they are gone, even if it's halfway to Charlottesville. Adam
50. I admire Aba's commitment to Judaism. Adam
51. I love how his name is so long. Sarah Kamely, Daphne’s niece
52. I love how he has a story for everything. Sarah Kamely, Daphne’s niece
53. Abba has taught me the importance of having an inquiring mind: For example, if your older cousin is driving you in his car when you are a little kid and he suggests that you open the window, it is important to inquire whether he is about to drive by a lawn sprinkler that will soak you. Danny Davidson, Arnie’s youngest 1st cousin
54. Abba has taught me the importance of achieving a recognized position in the community. I think, for example, of the waitress in Lake Placid, NY who, upon seeing Arnie's name on a charge card, remarked on his position as a sagacious investor in local real estate. Danny
55. Abba has taught me the importance of loyalty. A man who still wishes to "Keep Keating" in Congress displays this quality to an awesome extent. Danny
56. Abba has taught me the importance of never seeking "revenge" or "paybacks." Even though my parents apparently always scolded Morris and Sylvia for letting Arnie stay up late when he was little, it would never have occurred to him to remind my parents of that (repeatedly) when I was little and up late. (Not.) Danny
57. Arnie, more than any one else I know, is a Mensch! He is caring, considerate, empathetic, patient and loving. To know him is to love him!!! Danny
58. I love how Arnie always has made me feel tall! Danny
59. Arnie has a wonderful sense of family. He has been a loving son and nephew, and a loving cousin. He has been absolutely central to our family for as long as I can remember. Danny
60. I love Arnie because he is one of the most generous, polite and honesty men I’ve ever known. Jack, Arnie’s cousin and fellow Arlingtonian
61. Abba is one of the least likely people to speak or act in a manner untrue to his convictions. Jack, Arnie’s cousin and fellow Arlingtonian
62. I love how he cuddles me durig thunderstorms, Kiska (best dog)
63. He is amazingly good natured, even when things are not going smoothly. I've never seen the man get rattled, even when he mistakenly brushed his teeth with Ben Gay! Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
64. He's very smart! Has all sorts of facts at his fingertips.still remember how he knew all those things about Delaware when he gave the toast at the wedding. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
65. He's great to talk to. Never at a loss for conversation when you're around Mr. Konheim. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
66. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He can be self-depricating and laugh about it. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
67. He's just an all-around nice guy. He is kindly, a good dad to his kids, and the best father-of-my-son's-wife that I'll ever have! Larry Kalkstein
68. I love Abba for his humor and good spirit. Yardenna Kameli, Arnie’s sister-in-law
69. I love Abba for being a family man, being a dedicated father and husband Yardenna
70. I love to celebrate Pesach with him. Yardenna
71. I love Arnie for being a New Yorker and the best American guide for historical sites. I love going sightseeing with him in Washington and Virginia Yardenna
72. He has always something interesting to tell. Yardenna
73. I love Arnie’s way of preparing Sorbet and fruits at night. Yardenna
74. I love walking the dog with Arnie. Yardenna
75. I love Arnie for all the memories I’ve had with him. I have had 65+ years of a lovely friendship with Arnie and the memories are too long to recount. I do remember one lovely evening in Georgetown when you and Daphne and I had dinner in a nice restaurant along the barge canal and then went for a stroll along the avenue. I'm sure Daphne remembers the outcome of that incident when we went to her friend’s home to clean up! Gerald Gutman, Arnie’s first cousin and long-time rival in everything
76. I love how Arnie is always glad to see me. Mindy, Arnie’s cousin and (very recently) neighbor 77. I love how Arnie remembers old stories about our family and its members. Mindy
78. I love how even tempered Arnie is in the face of challenging situations, including other people blowing up or melting down. Mindy
79. I love Arnie's sense of humor. Mindy
80. I love how Arnie teaches Judaism gently, without pressuring anyone. Mindy
81. I love Arnie's openness about trying and participating in things even if they seem like a lot of work (like taking the kids on a 20 mile bike ride). Mindy
82. I love Arnie's commitment to giving the kids (his and mine) the opportunity to ski, to bike, to try things, and not to be afraid. Mindy
83. I love how Arnie really cares about his pets. Mindy
84. I love how Arnie tells rambling stories displaying his knowledge of arcane but interesting minutae. Mindy
85. I love how Arnie speaks fake Spanish. Mindy
86. I love how Arnie never gives up on his kids, even when they are being difficult. Mindy
87. Abba is always smiling and always laughing. Dahlia, Daphne’s cousin
88. Arnie was very, very bright. Aunt Frida, one of Arnie’s three remaining aunts
89. Arnie was curious and interested in finding out about how everything worked. Aunt Frida
90. Arnie was very sweet to me. Roberta “Bobby” Rosenthal Davis, Arnie’s 1st cousin
91. I used to enjoy the times we got together and listened to my dad and uncle playing the violin while Sylvia played the piano. Roberta “Bobby” Rosenthal Davis
92. I enjoy Arnie’s birthday cards. Ellen Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin’s wife
93. Arnie is warm, friendly and family-oriented Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s 1st cousin
94. I loved Arnie’s wedding. He got married on one of the hottest days of the year. Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin
95. Abba has a lot of generosity. He lent me track spikes. And enabled me to become a track star. Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin
96. I enjoy Arnie’s sense of humor, it’s a little corny but that’s ok and I definitely like his new year’s cards. Michael Rosenthal, Arnie’s cousin
97. I like Arnie because he’s charismatic and intelligent. Rosario Aguillar, caretaker for Arnie’s mother and former caretaker of Arnie’s children (and somewhat of a caretaker for Arnie, himself)
98. Arnie is a good person and has a good heart. Rosario, Arnie’s mother’s caretaker and longtime family friend
99. We loved that Arnie was a good neighbor, and how he used to come over with (older sister/daughter) Valerie and play in our backyard. Carl and 88-year old mother Valerie Bejarano whose house was next door to Arnie’s family where they grew up
100. Arnie is knowledgeable but in a quiet and unassuming way. Steve Kaiden, Arnie’s 1st cousin
1.I love Aba's thirst for knowledge, Yasmine
2.I admire Aba's consistency in life, Yasmine
3. Aba is one of the hardest workers I know, Yasmine
4. I love that Aba always wanted the best for us. Yasmine
5. I love that Aba always took the time to look for ways to enrich our lives. Yasmine
6. Aba is humble. Yasmine
7. Aba judges people kindly and always tries to do the right thing. Yasmine
8. Aba is a good role model. Yasmine
9. Aba loves to laugh. Yasmine
10. Aba takes care of his body by eating well and exercising. I admire that. Yasmine
11. Aba can seem to get me around any city in the world. Yasmine
12. I love that Aba believed in me. Yasmine
13. I loved how aba would meow when we played cat and mouse when skiing. Yasmine
14. Aba is good at seeing the world from a kid's perspective. Yasmine
15. I like how Aba loves challenging problems. Yasmine
16. Aba is good at picking out mistakes and figuring out how to right it (for example, when watching movies, he sure does nitpick...(urinals were too tall in Kindergarten Cop!, American Airline Counter for a United Airlines Flight in Home Alone 2, etc.)). Yasmine
17. Aba gives excellent speeches and toasts. Yasmine
18. Aba made me a skier (that couldn't have been easy to get a 3 year old ready for skiing!) Yasmine
19. I loved when Aba used to have Orrin and I race down the sidewalk. Yasmine
20. I loved when Aba took us out of the sermon at synagogue and played upstairs in the classrooms with us. Yasmine
21. I love Abba for insisting that I learn the value of exercise even when I didn’t want to. He made me a track star and I’m proud of him for running a marathon. Orrin
22. I love how Abba is always thinking of Yasmine and myself and always looking out for us. Orrin
23. I love how when we used to spill or break something Ima would get mad and Abba would say as long as we’d say “Yakapora” then everything would be ok. Once, either Yasmine or myself spilt some water (or maybe it was wine) on a tablecloth and Ima got mad at me, and Abba said “it’s no big deal, and proceeded to spill some water to make me feel better. Orrin
24. Sometimes I don’t know if I love this about him, but ultimately, I think I will look back and love how Abba forces me to have conversations with him because he won’t let me have the TV on during dinner. Orrin
25. I love how Abba is secretly as much a lover of TV as myself. Every time he passes by the TV, he has to watch a few minutes of it, but he’ll never admit it. Orrin
26. I love how Abba is an avid learner and how he always wants to learn about what I’ve been learning. We can have great conversations about classical music, geography and film. Orrin
27. I love how Abba is a very devoted son to his mother. OrrinI love to brag about how good in jeopardy my dad is. Orrin
28. I love how Abba has introduced us to skiing and I have so many memories from our ski trips together. Orrin
29. I love how Abba is always willing to play catch, take me to a museum or see a movie with me Orrin
30. I love how Abba is so good at mental math (but I don’t love how he used to make us do a math problem when we asked how much longer until we get there). Orrin
31. I love how Abba did his best to make car trips more bearable by playing car games, putting in books on tape, introducing the “sight” rule to break conversations, and breaking the trip down into segments. Orrin
32. My childhood friend Kevin Pelham used to brag throughout all of elementary school about how his friend’s dad always had the best birthday parties and I definitely agree: Abba has always planned out major events in our childhood with a touch of creativity. Orrin
33. I love how Abba is as enthusiastic as I am of travelling to new places. The best example of this might be our trip ten years ago to Louisville, Cincinatti and Indianapolis, simply because it established us as the ultimate tourists. Judging by how many strange looks from the locals we got when we told them that we were voluntarily vacationing in Indianapolis for reasons unrelated to business or relatives, we must have been the first tourists in Indianapolis’ history. We had a fun time and as a show of the Abba’s creativity in planning trips, we went on a nice train ride there rather than taking a car or plane. I think Abba’s favorite vacation would be the time we went camping in New Hampshire, because that’s always what fathers like to do with their sons. I was afraid of Mount Monadnock but with his help, it turned out not to be that bad and we saw Lake Placid and the Old Man on the Mountain before he fell off. Orrin
34. The ultimate hiking challenge, however, was the Grand Canyon and that was one unforgettable trip that I also love him for. We started off in Las Vegas which Abba was kindly willing to show me, but he would always go around saying, “There are two holes in Nevada: Las Vegas and the Hoover Dam.” We got to see the observatory where Pluto was discovered and hike in Sedona. He also kept talking about how difficult the Grand Canyon would be and how worried he was that I wouldn’t make it, and as usual, I completely foiled his plans. I kept wanting to stop and take in the scenery but he desperately wanted to keep going before the sun reached its zenith, then on the way back, I had felt so much energy, especially since I was trying to train for cross-country that I just jogged back up and Abba was the one having to keep up with me. We also had an event on the way back at the airport that scared me to death when there was a breach of security at O’Hare, but Abba was much calmer than myself and optimistically looked forward to us being part of the day’s news: Between the two of us, one of us can bring an optimistic way of seeing things to the other. Orrin
35. I love how Abba used to tell us bedtime stories with all the different voices. Orrin
36. I love his sense of humor and the way he likes to make people laugh at his jokes. Michal “Savtah” Kamely, Mother-in-Law
37. I love how Arnie is devoted to Judaism and likes to celebrate the Jewish holidays. Michael Kamely, Mother-in-Law
38. I love how my son-in-law is devoted to his children. Michal “Savtah” Kamely
39. I respect Arnie’s dedication to his work and his environments. Michal “Savtah” Kamely
40. Abba is a wonderful father. Daphne, Arnie’s wife
41. I love how Abba is always learning and I love learning from him. Daphne
42. Abba has a wonderful sense of humor and is always fun to be around. Daphne
43. Abba is not only the best husband but also the best friend. Daphne
44. Aba knows tons of stuff. Adam Kalkstein, Arnie’s son-in-law
45. Aba works hard. Adam
46. He doesn't like stereotypes/prejudices (Jewfish creek). Adam
47. Aba doesn't like Hillary Clinton. Adam
48. Aba made me a nice wife. Adam
49. Aba takes good care of Kiska and only takes her to the best kennels when they are gone, even if it's halfway to Charlottesville. Adam
50. I admire Aba's commitment to Judaism. Adam
51. I love how his name is so long. Sarah Kamely, Daphne’s niece
52. I love how he has a story for everything. Sarah Kamely, Daphne’s niece
53. Abba has taught me the importance of having an inquiring mind: For example, if your older cousin is driving you in his car when you are a little kid and he suggests that you open the window, it is important to inquire whether he is about to drive by a lawn sprinkler that will soak you. Danny Davidson, Arnie’s youngest 1st cousin
54. Abba has taught me the importance of achieving a recognized position in the community. I think, for example, of the waitress in Lake Placid, NY who, upon seeing Arnie's name on a charge card, remarked on his position as a sagacious investor in local real estate. Danny
55. Abba has taught me the importance of loyalty. A man who still wishes to "Keep Keating" in Congress displays this quality to an awesome extent. Danny
56. Abba has taught me the importance of never seeking "revenge" or "paybacks." Even though my parents apparently always scolded Morris and Sylvia for letting Arnie stay up late when he was little, it would never have occurred to him to remind my parents of that (repeatedly) when I was little and up late. (Not.) Danny
57. Arnie, more than any one else I know, is a Mensch! He is caring, considerate, empathetic, patient and loving. To know him is to love him!!! Danny
58. I love how Arnie always has made me feel tall! Danny
59. Arnie has a wonderful sense of family. He has been a loving son and nephew, and a loving cousin. He has been absolutely central to our family for as long as I can remember. Danny
60. I love Arnie because he is one of the most generous, polite and honesty men I’ve ever known. Jack, Arnie’s cousin and fellow Arlingtonian
61. Abba is one of the least likely people to speak or act in a manner untrue to his convictions. Jack, Arnie’s cousin and fellow Arlingtonian
62. I love how he cuddles me durig thunderstorms, Kiska (best dog)
63. He is amazingly good natured, even when things are not going smoothly. I've never seen the man get rattled, even when he mistakenly brushed his teeth with Ben Gay! Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
64. He's very smart! Has all sorts of facts at his fingertips.still remember how he knew all those things about Delaware when he gave the toast at the wedding. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
65. He's great to talk to. Never at a loss for conversation when you're around Mr. Konheim. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
66. He doesn't take himself too seriously. He can be self-depricating and laugh about it. Larry Kalkstein, Arnie’s in-law
67. He's just an all-around nice guy. He is kindly, a good dad to his kids, and the best father-of-my-son's-wife that I'll ever have! Larry Kalkstein
68. I love Abba for his humor and good spirit. Yardenna Kameli, Arnie’s sister-in-law
69. I love Abba for being a family man, being a dedicated father and husband Yardenna
70. I love to celebrate Pesach with him. Yardenna
71. I love Arnie for being a New Yorker and the best American guide for historical sites. I love going sightseeing with him in Washington and Virginia Yardenna
72. He has always something interesting to tell. Yardenna
73. I love Arnie’s way of preparing Sorbet and fruits at night. Yardenna
74. I love walking the dog with Arnie. Yardenna
75. I love Arnie for all the memories I’ve had with him. I have had 65+ years of a lovely friendship with Arnie and the memories are too long to recount. I do remember one lovely evening in Georgetown when you and Daphne and I had dinner in a nice restaurant along the barge canal and then went for a stroll along the avenue. I'm sure Daphne remembers the outcome of that incident when we went to her friend’s home to clean up! Gerald Gutman, Arnie’s first cousin and long-time rival in everything
76. I love how Arnie is always glad to see me. Mindy, Arnie’s cousin and (very recently) neighbor 77. I love how Arnie remembers old stories about our family and its members. Mindy
78. I love how even tempered Arnie is in the face of challenging situations, including other people blowing up or melting down. Mindy
79. I love Arnie's sense of humor. Mindy
80. I love how Arnie teaches Judaism gently, without pressuring anyone. Mindy
81. I love Arnie's openness about trying and participating in things even if they seem like a lot of work (like taking the kids on a 20 mile bike ride). Mindy
82. I love Arnie's commitment to giving the kids (his and mine) the opportunity to ski, to bike, to try things, and not to be afraid. Mindy
83. I love how Arnie really cares about his pets. Mindy
84. I love how Arnie tells rambling stories displaying his knowledge of arcane but interesting minutae. Mindy
85. I love how Arnie speaks fake Spanish. Mindy
86. I love how Arnie never gives up on his kids, even when they are being difficult. Mindy
87. Abba is always smiling and always laughing. Dahlia, Daphne’s cousin
88. Arnie was very, very bright. Aunt Frida, one of Arnie’s three remaining aunts
89. Arnie was curious and interested in finding out about how everything worked. Aunt Frida
90. Arnie was very sweet to me. Roberta “Bobby” Rosenthal Davis, Arnie’s 1st cousin
91. I used to enjoy the times we got together and listened to my dad and uncle playing the violin while Sylvia played the piano. Roberta “Bobby” Rosenthal Davis
92. I enjoy Arnie’s birthday cards. Ellen Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin’s wife
93. Arnie is warm, friendly and family-oriented Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s 1st cousin
94. I loved Arnie’s wedding. He got married on one of the hottest days of the year. Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin
95. Abba has a lot of generosity. He lent me track spikes. And enabled me to become a track star. Jeffery Kaiden, Arnie’s cousin
96. I enjoy Arnie’s sense of humor, it’s a little corny but that’s ok and I definitely like his new year’s cards. Michael Rosenthal, Arnie’s cousin
97. I like Arnie because he’s charismatic and intelligent. Rosario Aguillar, caretaker for Arnie’s mother and former caretaker of Arnie’s children (and somewhat of a caretaker for Arnie, himself)
98. Arnie is a good person and has a good heart. Rosario, Arnie’s mother’s caretaker and longtime family friend
99. We loved that Arnie was a good neighbor, and how he used to come over with (older sister/daughter) Valerie and play in our backyard. Carl and 88-year old mother Valerie Bejarano whose house was next door to Arnie’s family where they grew up
100. Arnie is knowledgeable but in a quiet and unassuming way. Steve Kaiden, Arnie’s 1st cousin
Comments
Thank you for sharing this, Orrin and Yasmine!
~Heather